baland magazine learned about the disclosure by the Executive Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of BUA Foundation stated:
1. This is food for thought for an average Okpellan. A similar ultramodern hospital located in Okpella, with ultramodern medical equipment and resourced with qualified and experienced personnel under the payroll of the BUA FOUNDATION will make Okpella a center for medical tourism.
2. As I pen down these words, all the nooks & crannies of Okpella are filled up with quack hospitals with equally quack humans parading themselves as medical personnel. What do these quacks do? They lead our women and children to their untimely graves.
3. Yet, this doesn’t prick the conscience of those whose duty it is to represent our community and secure the best deals for our people. They’re content with fighting over who is to be a member of the CDA committee and how to waste the annual token of N200m paid by the company.
4. A visionary and strategic thinking leadership would engage this company, identify and put forward some legacy, lives-impacting projects of this type for actualization. Such projects must be sustainable and must be intended to outlive our generation.
5. Splitting monies on quasi-projects that shall not outlive our generation is the worst disservice to the future of our community and the next generation who shall suffer the environmental impact of these mining activities.
6. Since BUA group has a world-class Construction company as a subsidiary (PW CONSTRUCTION), why not set up an interdisciplinary committee (made up of Okpellan engineers, lawyers, quantity surveyors, medical personnel, and others) to work with PW Construction to come up with projects procurement designs and their execution frameworks? Such projects would then be handed over to PW to execute for our community. For sustainability of projects, it is always better executed by a renowned construction company that has irreducible standards and a brand to protect. PW CONSTRUCTION belongs to that class!
7. My takeaway from this news is that BUA Group is a company that takes corporate social responsibilities very seriously. What the group can do for others, it can do even better for her host community.
8. Again, the problem is that of a leadership discount.
9. May God deliver Okpella from the hands of Okpellans.
Engr. Akemokue Lukman.